Click here to read the Spanish version.
Although the cake originated in Jamaica, hummingbird cake is very popular in the southern United States and has become a favourite dessert there. It is a kind of carrot cake, but instead of carrot, the cake includes pineapple and banana. It is named after the national bird of the island of Jamaica, the red-billed doctor hummingbird. In fact, the cake is called “doctor bird cake” there, although some also refer to it as the “cake that doesn’t last”, because you eat it so fast because it’s so delicious.
If you haven’t tried this flying cake yet, we’ll show you how to make it at home, it’s very easy and delicious!
Hummingbird cake recipe
- For the sponge cake layers:
- 350 g flour
- Pinch of salt and bicarbonate of soda
- Ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
- Vanilla extract
- 1 can pineapple in syrup, undrained
- 4 bananas, chopped
- A handful of chopped toasted walnuts
- For the cream cheese frosting:
- 2 packets cream cheese
- One piece of softened butter
- Vanilla extract
- Additional ingredient:
- Pecan nuts
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Meanwhile, whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and cinnamon in a bowl. Then add the eggs and oil and mix well. Stir in the vanilla, crushed pineapple, bananas and toasted walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly into the well greased (with butter) and floured round cake tins.
- Bake for half an hour until a toothpick comes out clean. Leave to cool in the moulds for 10 minutes. Remove the cake tins and leave to cool completely for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Beat the cream cheese and butter with a mixer on medium-low speed until smooth. Gradually add the sugar, beating on low speed until well blended. Add the vanilla and increase the speed for a minute or two until fluffy.
- Assemble the cake by placing the first layer of sponge cake in a serving dish and brushing the top with icing.
- Place the second layer and spread with icing again. Cover with the third layer and spread the remaining icing on the top and sides.
- To finish, you can top with pecan halves.
If, in addition to the hummingbird cake, you would like to prepare other desserts, here is the recipe for Dani García’s carrot cake.